Water + Electricity = DANGER!
After a bath or shower, you should make sure your children are dried off thoroughly before they go anywhere near electrical things like games consoles – water and electricity can be deadly.
This also means not letting your kids run straight from the paddling pool into the house where there are plugs, sockets and switches. Get them dry first.
Drinks + Electrics = DANGER!
Keep drinks away from TVs, DVD players, stereos, speakers, computers, games consoles and anything else electrical.
Turn OFF when not used!
Turning off electric games and appliances when they’re not in use is a good habit to get into. It is not only safer, but saves you money and is kinder to the environment.
Watch Out in the garden!
There are many potential electrical hazards in the garden. For example, lawn mowers and hedge cutters can cut through their own electric cables, causing a risk of electric shock. It’s important to be vigilant at all times, especially if young children are nearby.
Ensure that, before children use any electrical equipment in the garden, they understand the dangers involved and use an RCD for mains powered equipment such as lawn mowers.
Never leave unsupervised
Keep appliance cords out of the reach of children, especially those connected to hot items such as kettles, irons, hair straighteners or hairdryers.
Appliance cords + Child Mouth = DANGER!
Never leave an unconnected appliance cord plugged in and switched on (for example, a mobile phone charger). Young children may be tempted to put the end of the cord in their mouths.